Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Gallow's Humor I

One of the things that has saved my live on numerous occasions is laughter. When they say it's the best medicine, they're not kidding. An Eddie Izzard special on HBO the day before my colonoscopy (and the day of my first adrenal crash---scary!) was mana from heaven.

Since then I've come to love lolcats, demotivators, and all things gallow's humor. Being able to laugh at my disease is priceless. It puts the disease in its place.

So without further ado, here are 'Top Ten' signs you have neuropathy (or similar):
  1. You're surprised when that creepy crawly feeling *is* actually a bug on you.
  2. You can enjoy playing hide & go seek with your own feet when they're under covers: "where aaaaarrrrrreeeee you???"
  3. Painting abstract art is easy-peasy since everything's blurry anyway!
  4. You know *exactly* how the Princess felt in "The Princess and the Pea", and think taking up genealogy now sounds like a really good idea...
  5. It's a joyful surprise to know that water can have temperature rather than just being wet.
  6. You sound really courteous asking if it's to warm or cold in the room for someone when really you're fishing for information.
  7. What smell? (And you've gotten very practiced at hygiene as a result...)
  8. You're taking up comedy because every bone feels like a funny bone.
  9. You develop super ninja powers and creep up on cats.
  10. You can out-do the weather man.





What are your ways to laugh at your disease?

1 comment:

  1. I sometimes think I am Bipolar but I can't make up my mind.
    Don't like my mood? Hang around 10 minutes, another one will be around shortly.
    You wouldn't like me when I am cross
    (having been a drama student which helps) - over-react in any given situation like falling on the floor screaming when someone pushes past you, sitting on the floor in the bank and bursting into noisy tears when they say our account is overdrawn ... just don't take it seriously

    ReplyDelete