Sunday, June 17, 2012

#NMAM "Father Knows Best"

Some understand Migraines, some don't. It's Father's Day. Write a letter to your father or the man closest to you, and talk to him about your Migraines. Dear Dad, I don't think I have to explain to you how awful my migraines are. You've been incredibly supportive through this whole process. I know, too, that you understand chronic illness, and how easy it is to find yourself beyond the limits of medical science. You've been there yourself. And I know that you believe in me and my ability to get back on my feet. You wouldn't be rooting for me out here away from home if you didn't. Though we haven't been able to spend a lot of time together, I've loved the time I have received.

You've always been a great role model for me, working so hard to get where you are now. I hope you see how hard I'm working, so you don't have to worry about me anymore. I want you to be able to sleep peacefully at night, knowing your daughter is okay. Better than okay---that I can handle myself even after everything has gone to hell. I want you to know that when the crap hits the fan, I'm going to be fine, regardless.

I know that this is not what you imagined for my life. I know that it took a while for my sister to get it through your head that I was not well enough for all the great things you imagined for me. I know how much of a disappointment this all has been. But I know you're still proud of me, and amazed at the work I've been able to do because of it. You always said I had a gift with words, and now I'm really putting that gift to good use. I know that even though it's not success in the conventional way, you see me as a success.

And it was your words, more than anyone else's, that helped me pick up the pieces after things had gone wrong. "It's not the mistakes we make, it's our recovery from them that counts. It's not what happens to us, it's how we deal with it that matters."

Thanks for being there, Dad...

Your daughter.

"National Migraine Awareness Month is initiated by the National Headache Foundation. The Blogger's Challenge is initiated by www.FightingHeadacheDisorders.com."

No comments:

Post a Comment