Wednesday, April 25, 2012

#HAWMC - Day 24 : Health Mascot [late entry?]

Health Mascot. As a Health Activist, your voice is prominent within your specific health community. A mascot is associated with a distinct group or team. Branding your voice with a mascot can be an imaginative and gratifying activity. Here, you can pay tribute to your favorite mascot or you can create an original character. Ensure, whichever you decide to go with is related to your Health Activism. So for today’s prompt – give yourself, your condition, or your health focus a mascot. Is it a real person? Fictional? Mythical being? Describe them. Bonus points if you provide a visual!

Ah... though this is a late entry, I already had complete this on my blog last year! My mascot is the Unicorn. After a day of frustration, I vented the following to my friends:
We tell doctors, when you hear hoof beats, think horses not zebras. But when it's not a horse, and it's not a zebra, have a little humility and faith of heart. You just may be hearing a unicorn.

I call myself a Medical Unicorn because I have a disease that, as of 2003, there were only 336 cases known. I was diagnosed in 2008. As such, I use the Unicorn as my profile picture. My purpose here is to take the suffering I've been through and turn it into something good. The unicorn's horn was imbued with certain powers, and one of them was healing. I have been able to experience a great amount of healing by sharing my thoughts with you here.

And through my participation on line, I was even able to meet another unicorn like me---a woman with my same disease! Someone I could talk to and compare notes with... it was truly a miracle meeting her. She has been such a blessing in my life, and is truly a beautiful soul. And more than that, we've been able to completely validate one another's symptoms. What we have, we share in how it's manifesting. We have the same chronic pain. We have the same chronic migraines... it's been such a relief to be able to say, "Okay... it's not just me! It is the disease."

She is my Unicorn Sister.

2 comments:

  1. A great symbol indeed! And isn't the internet amazing? When I hear stories like yours and how you have met a soul mate, it just brightens my day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I <3 the Interwebs!! Thank you - yes... though I wouldn't wish this disease one anyone, it was a blessing to find my unicorn sister. ^_^

    ReplyDelete