Saturday, June 16, 2012

#NMAM Challenge #16: Lead, follow, or get out of the way....

Today's blogging challenge: Lead, follow, or get out of the way.... Which role fits you and why? I see myself kind of as a leader, but more of a coach. I can tell you all sorts of things, but it's your job to put them into play. You also get the credit for scoring points... it's the player that wins the game, not the coach. I want to share my experience, strength, and tenacity (because hope is sometimes a liability). I want to see you be successful in the management of your disease, and all the baggage that comes with it. That's how I score points.

Let's face it... this crap is hard! No matter if you're a leader, follower, or loner, it doesn't matter. This health stuff kicks our ass. If it didn't, we would be here! We'd be up to far different activities if were were disease free. But here we are, so we try to make the best of it we can...

Some people might say I'm a leader. I certainly like being on panels. I don't mind getting up and talking before large crowds. I'm not shy in the limelight. Thing is though, I'd much rather have personal one-on-one interactions with folks. I don't want to be the leader of anything. I'll take a leadership role to help people out with organizing the logistics... but I'd much rather we all be on equal footing. My disease certainly doesn't care if I'm in a leadership position. You shouldn't either.

Each of us has something to contribute with our experience. You don't have to be proud of your migraines. But you can be proud of your ability to get through them. It may seem (at the time) that all we're doing is holding on to a run-away train... That there's nothing we do to be proud of. But the truth is, a lot of people don't even have to deal with going on that ride. That you get up afterwards and face the world, doing your best to brush yourself off from the wreckage you just walked away from... That's a big deal!

You don't have to be a leader to make a difference. The smallest gestures of appreciation and kindness can mean the world to someone else. Even if you see yourself as only a follower, your following means something to those who lead. If you're a leader, that you stood up means something to those who follow. If you're barreling forward on your own course, your efforts break ground and show new, unconventional ways of doing things. Everyone has a place.

"National Migraine Awareness Month is initiated by the National Headache Foundation. The Blogger's Challenge is initiated by www.FightingHeadacheDisorders.com."

No comments:

Post a Comment